Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wherein I uphold the promise to not dwell on this moment.

The other night the Woman said she wanted to blog about the drama that is going on in life. But then we decided that this too shall pass, and in a year we'll be far ahead in our lives and probably not remembering any of this.

So I have resolved to blog about to good things.

I love the Woman. A lot. She makes me very happy, and she is always there to support me. But I am not afraid to be the one to support her either. Just last night, we talked about things that had us down, about our fears for the present and the future. And as we prayed and went to get off the phone, she said, "Tell me a joke."

So I quickly stammered around to telling her a joke about a zebra dying and going to Heaven. We both laughed, and then talked a little more. Then she asked me to tell her another. I told her a "How many ____ does it take to screw in a light bulb?" joke, and we both laughed again. Then she told me about her aunt who doesn't know how to change a light bulb, but has the entire Dewey Decimal system memorized. I went to bed smiling.

We also spent some time off campus, on a date for St. Patrick's Day. We went to Chilly Willy's and got some pretty delicious Mexican food. Mexican food that still sits pretty heavy in my belly, but I've always considered that a sign of good food. I also quoted a new motto for life: "Nachos are the Jenga of the food world." Look within yourself. You know it is true. (All of these date-related things happened before the nighttime conversation, just to dispose any confusion.)

Today we both have some homework we need to work on, so I think we are either doing a study session in the Library or heading to one of our houses to sit on the deck and work in the sun. We did this a couple of weeks ago, on the really beautiful Saturday we had, and it was a ton of fun. And even though we were there and distracted each other occasionally with music or funny pictures or things related to the upcoming wedding, we got a ton of work done.

Which brought us to the conclusion that being on campus brings us down so much that we couldn't even try to focus on work. Which is why we spend so much time away from campus -- Just like a lot of other people, we've figured out that there is something here that is promoting our laziness.

But back to happiness...I've been sending out some resumes and cover letters, and though I'm not always getting responses (at all, let alone positive ones), I am still excited. I've got a certain vocation picked out currently: Working with the Boy Scouts of America in a mid-level management position. I've applied to be a District Executive in a couple of different places, and I am waiting on an application that will register me with the BSA nationwide.

I'm really qualified for this job (of course I am biased) and it really works well into my organizational style. I am a goal-oriented man, and I really love being able to make a to-do list, and cross it off as I get done. I did that this summer with my internship, I do that currently with my homework...I mean, geez, I do it with what I need to take home on the weekends or over breaks.

Hopefully someone will be intriguied by my resume/cover letter and give me a chance. I'd just like to get into one interview.

The Woman and I have started going to church at Bridges Christian Church in Russell. We really enjoy it. The worship is good, the sermons are nice, and everyone there seems so friendly. Just last week we ran into the senior minister on our way out of church. He stopped us, shook our hands, and said, "I don't think I've been introduced to you two!"

Pretty impressive for a church of 800, if I say so myself.

So we introduced ourselves and I'm pretty sure he thinks we are married. Oh well, it's a simple mistake and if anything dramatic comes of it, we'll clear it up.

But now I have realzied that I'm getting long-winded (or should it be long-texted? Hmmm...) and that I should probably work on some homework. Good day.

1 comment:

Shaina N said...

I totally and completely agree with not being able to get homework done on campus. It's nearly impossible.